City of DeSoto
211 E. Pleasant Run Road
DeSoto, TX 75115
Contact via Email
Text the word: DESOTOCITY To: 72727
Visit our Website
Hours of OperationMonday & Friday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday & Sunday: CLOSED
DeSoto is one of the oldest settlements in North Texas. It was in 1847, just eleven years after Texas won its independence from Mexico, that families first settled in the area that is now DeSoto. Curtis Parks, one of the first settlers in the DeSoto area, built his home in 1847. He came from Indiana with his wife Amelia. A few of the other early settler families to the area were Thomas Cheshier, Zebedee Heath, Otway B. Nance, Allen Q. Nance, F. M. Hamilton, and John P. Voorhies.
Around the year 1848, T. J. Johnson, fresh from Tennessee, built a tiny general merchandise store near the "crossroads." This crossroads was located where one road (just a wagon trail in those days) went from Dallas to the Shiloh community in Ellis County. Another trail crossed the road, running east and west, from Lancaster to Cedar Hill. This crossroads is now the Belt Line and Hampton roads intersection.
In 1881 a post office was established and the settlement was given the name of DeSoto in honor of Dr. Thomas Hernando DeSoto Stewart, a beloved doctor dedicated to the community. During those early years, DeSoto remained a farming community and not much changed until the 1940s.
The citizens of DeSoto, Texas, from their earliest history to the present time, have been led by the hand of a kind Providence, and are indebted for the countless blessings of the past and present, and are dependent for continued prosperity in the future upon Almighty God. With a firm reliance on that same Providence, we resolve to carefully conduct the affairs of this City for the benefit of the greater good and in praise of the Power that has made and preserved this community.